Mia Marrone Heart Foundation Pendant

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Stanford Appointments 11-30

   We have many updates to catch up on. As stated in our previous post, we had many appointments scheduled on Nov 30th at Stanford. We decided to head to Stanford the night before our appointments due to the early morning fog and the long day ahead of us. We stayed at a little motel. It was very clean and had  Directv. My mom stayed with our doggies. We had never left three of them overnight and it has been over 3 1/2 since we've left the other two overnight. We will be leaving them with my parents for nearly 2 months for Cemaia's birth and surgery so we thought this would be a good trial run for them. Our biggest baby Koda had the hardest time. Apparently he kept everyone awake until 3 am. But they did well overall.
   Our first appointment was an ultrasound at 9am. We found out that Cemaia is now weighing 6 lbs 1 oz and she is 6 days ahead of schedule. We feel very happy about this. They still feel that her organs are developed nicely and her lungs are looking good. They had a hard time seeing her face because her head is so low. Next we went on to our fetal echocardiogram. Our tech was very nice and she made sure I was very comfy with a nice wedge pillow. We met our cardiologist who was very nice and a lot more positive than others we have met with. It was nice to talk with her about Cemaia's future rather than listening to someone tell us how most children will not make it to see their 5th birthday. She also told us that their doesn't seem to be anything different about her heart. She may have a small VSD. She doesn't believe that the size of her ASD will need immediate attention when she is born. We were very happy about that.
   Time for a lunch break. Wow! We didn't realize how expensive cafeteria food is. While we were finishing up I received a call from our social worker. We met with her for tours of the NICU and the CVICU. After the tours I began to feel very dizzy and sweaty so we sat down for a while. After a short break we met with the Neonatologist. She answered many questions and provided us with info about breast feeding and what we should expect to see before and after surgery. Next we had an appointment across the street with the OB doctor to come up with a delivery plan. I expressed that I would like to give Cemaia the power to decide when she wants to come. They agreed and said I would only be induced if I went 41 weeks as long as we could make arrangements to stay close by when I'm 37 weeks. We are very happy about this. Overall our day was very long but we received a lot of positive information and felt very encouraged. We feel good about our decision to go to Stanford and are beginning to look forward to getting Cemaia the help she needs.


  1. It sounds like a great appointment and a great hospital. We are on the other side of the country, but I have heard great things about Stanford. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

  2. At our hospital, (Sacred Heart in Spokan, WA.) they gave us parking and food vouchers while our son was in the NICU and later in the PICU after surgery. Thank goodness! We were there for three weeks after surgery and I don't know how we would have been able to eat in the cafeteria everyday without those vouchers. You should ask either your social worker or charge nurse, you know, when you have time. :) Good luck, continued good thoughts coming your way.